Challenge Day #27

Tao Te Ching

The Tao Te Ching is one of the most written about and translated books in the world.  I think of it as the book of mystery for within its 81 verses/chapters you will begin to be surrounded by the unfolding of the universe. The beauty of the Tao is in the simple complexity of each verse. 

No two translations are the same and no two people that read any translation will walk away with the same message.  In fact if you read it today and then come back another day the same message will take on new meaning.  Having read several translations I find it most helpful to read at least two or three varied translations before I begin to grasp the implications for my life.

Several themes flow throughout the book which resonate with me. I'd like to share three with you. Take moment to read these two different translations of a portion of verse two.

Translation 1
When people see some things as beautiful
Other things become ugly.
When people see some things as good,
Other things become bad.

Being and non-being create each other.
Difficult and easy support each other.
Long and short define each other.
High and low depend on each other.
Before and after follow each other.

Therefore the Master
Acts without doing anything
And teaches without saying anything…

Translation 2
 When the world knows beauty as beauty, ugliness arises
When it knows good as good, evil arises

Thus being and non-being produce each other
Difficult and easy bring about each other
Long and short reveal each other
High and low support each other
Music and voice harmonize each other
Front and back follow each other

Therefore the sages:
Manage the work of detached actions
Conduct the teaching of no words…

This theme of the trap of dualistic thinking flows throughout the verses. The idea that when our thoughts create one thing we create its opposite is a life lesson easily forgotten in times of stress. As I read this verse I’m struck that when I think this way I am sitting in judgement– is this person good or bad, right or wrong - thinking that leads to separating myself from others and falling into my ego. I’m also reminded that most things in life are neither and both.  Little in the world is all good or all bad and instead of seeking solutions that are either-or, trying to find a solution that is and & both is more beneficial. Reading this verse as an educator I see the power in modeling as form of teaching. I always try to remember I teach with no words. Just these few lines illustrate what I meant by the simple becoming complex. 

The second theme that captures my thinking is the idea that to understand our nature we need to understand nature itself.  Many of you are aware of my love for nature and in particular water. There are several reference to water in the Tao – here are three of my favorites from three different translations all of which provide different life lessons.

From Verse 78
Nothing in the world
Is as soft and yielding as water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and rigid,
Nothing can surpass it.

Everyone knows that the soft and yielding
Overcomes the rigid and hard
Yet few can put this knowledge into practice.

From Verse 8
The highest virtue is like water.
Since water helps the myriad creatures,
And settles, without contention,
Where no one wishes to live,
It is near to the way.

Finally from Verse 15
Do you have the patience to wait
till your mud settles and the water is clear?
Can you remain unmoving till the right action arises by itself?

This idea of being still and taking action by not acting is repeated several times through the Tao.  I believe this idea comes from realizing that in nature everything takes care of itself -if we do not interfere. When I have found myself facing a stressful situation I will often pour myself of water and set it next to me to remember to flow like the water and to gently erode the hard.  

I’d be remise not to mention all the wisdom Lao Tzu shares about leadership, by living a life based on the Tao.  He mentions the sage/master in nearly every verse.  As a woman I especially appreciate that in the original Chinese there is no gender preference given to the term sage/master. I’ve chosen to share Verse 49 with you as a challenge for you in living the Tao.

The Master has no fixed mind;
She understand the mind of the people.

She treats those who are good with goodness.
She also treats those who are bad with goodness
Because goodness is the nature of her being.

She is kind to the kind.
She is also kind to the unkind
Because kindness is the nature of her being.

She trusts people who are trustworthy.
She also trust people who are not trustworthy.
This is how she gains true trust.

The Master lives in harmony with all below heaven.
Her mind is like space.
People don’t understand her.
They look to her and wait.
She sees everything as her own self;
She loves everyone as her own child.


My two favorite translations:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Day #20