Challenge Day #14

The Goonies

How many times have you watched The Goonies? Me too many to count. I actually own three copies of it on DVD.  One for the lake, one for the house in Sartell and one that travels with me wherever I’m living at the moment. When I’m looking to boost my mood it and Adventures in Baby Sitting are two classics to which I turn.  I love to pop it in the player make some homemade popcorn with real butter and enjoy the swashbuckling quest of the Goonies.

The character development in this movie is marvelous from Chunk the heavy set chronic story teller (liar) who befriends Sloth the mild-mannered monster to Data the walking gadgeteer and booby-trap setter. I loved them all.  The entire movie reminds me of growing up in Friendly Hills where the woods and fields served my close knit group of friends as our Adventureland.  

For me this movie is a reminder that with friendship is about supporting each other, while recognizing our individual idiosyncrasies. Like the Goonies, growing up I felt part of group. We stuck together even when the odds were against us.  We wandered the woods, created forts, skated the rinks, played night games, went places adults told us not to go, put our lives on the edge and backed each other up.
Today although we are scattered in three different states we are still there for each other. The year we all turned 50 we had a 50 in O5 party at my cabin in Wisconsin.  As we sat around telling of our adventures I was reminded of how the Goonies might have felt if after 30 years they got back th anniversary of the release of the movie.
together.  Last year was the 30

When we are young the bonds we create are often formed when we are left unsupervised and are at play. The value of friendship and the bonds forged while being vulnerable are stronger. That’s what deep relationships allow – vulnerability.  Like the Goonies it was the relying on each other pushing each other to move past our fears and knowing that we would be supported that fashioned the connection that has kept us together for over forty-five years.


Each of my Friendly Hills friends are of strong character and each holds a special place in my heart.  You know more about me, have seen me at my best and been there when I have been at my worst.  Just like the Goonies together we’re better. 



The Goonies 1985 directed by Richard Donner. Produced by Steven Spielberg.  Writing credits to Steven Spielberg and Christ Columbus.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Day #20