Just BE it!


Hanging in the entry to Fairlawn Elementary School in Evansville Indiana is a gilded framed mirror with the quote “Be the change you want to see in the world” painted above it.  Imagine yourself standing in front of this mirror every day thinking about who you want to be. You pause for a moment to be consciously aware that you can make a difference. Looking at your reflection, you recognize that the actions you take are a reflection of the change you want to see in the world. 

If you are acting kind, peaceful, smiling, being of service not only will those same actions be reflected back to you in the mirror of life, they will grow and expand to everyone you meet.  If on the other hand you are blaming, shaming, finding fault in others you will experience the same and it will spread out all around you.  

This last week I met a young man at Gulliver Primary in Miami Florida just beginning his career in education.  He was full of excitement, energy, and ambition. What I will remember most about him is his smile.  His smile was so brilliant and so contagious every time I was in a room with him I found myself walking away with a huge grin on my face and lightness in my heart.  As I watched him throughout the day, I thought of how he was being the change he wanted to see in the world.  His genuine smile and the glimmer it brought to his eyes was a reflection of the joy he wanted to see in the world. He knew how to “Just BE It”!  

I hope that when I look in the mirror of life I can honestly say I was just being the change I wanted to see in the world.How about you?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Day #20