Building Relationships

In professional learning sessions I often ask "With whom are you in a relationships - that you don't talk with on a regular basis?  Texting, emailing, and instant messaging don't count."   Participants resounding answer, "No one!"  That's because strong relationships require more than written communication. Creating time and space for conversations is at the heart of building relationships. Let's check it out.

Recently this was posted on my Facebook page - (The answer are mine)

Let's take a break from life and learn about each other. Copy and paste and answer the questions for yourself.
  1. Are your named after some one? No 
  2. When was the last time you cried? Last night when I was laughing so hard that I teared up.
  3. Do you like your handwriting? No- I prefer to type 
  4. What is your favorite lunch meat? Braunschweiger
  5. Do you have children? Yes - two boys and a grandson
  6.  Do you use sarcasm? Unfortunately sometimes.
  7.  Do you have your tonsils? No
  8.  Would you bungee jump? No I don't like hanging upside down.
  9.  What is your cereal choice? Steel-cut oats in the winter.
  10.  Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?  Yes
  11.  Do you think you're strong? Physically - not so much, Mentally - absolutely, Emotionally - definitely
  12.  What's your favorite ice cream? Bordeaux Cherry Chocolate Chunk
  13. What is the first thing you notice about people? Their eyes
  14.  What's the first thing you notice about yourself? How much I love food that isn't healthy.
  15.  Red or Pink? Pink if I have to choose one,  but I prefer blue
  16.  What color pants & shoes are you wearing? Black shoes wearing a dress.
  17.  What was the last thing you ate? Good & Plenty
  18.  What are you listening to right now? Voices outside my office and the birds.
  19.  If you were a crayon what crayon what color would you be? Peacock Blue
  20.  What is your favorite smell?  Fresh lilacs
  21.  Who is the last person you talked to on the phone?  Tony G
  22.  Favorite sport?  Hockey
  23.  Hair color? Sort of Blonde
  24.  Eye Color? Blue
  25.  Do you wear contacts? No -glasses
  26.  Favorite Food? Seafood
  27.  Scary movie or happy ending? Happy ending- Give me Lifetime and Hallmark
  28.  Last movie you watched?  Bridgette Jones is Having a Baby
  29.  What color of shirt are you wearing? No shirt?
  30.  Summer or winter?  Summer at the lake!
  31.  Hugs or kisses? Kisses if they are good
  32.  What is on your phone lock screen? Beach scene
  33.  What did you watch on TV last night?  Bull and The Voice
  34.  Favorite sound?  Birds singing and babbling brooks
  35.  Rolling Stones or Beatles? Beatles (Blackbird)
  36.  What is the farthest you have traveled?  China
  37.  Do you have a special talent? I can roll my tongue (it's genetic)
  38.  Where were you born? St. Paul, MN   
I had fun thinking and writing about my answer.  Did you have fun reading them?  I enjoyed reading about my friends when they posted their answer. I am always interested in learning about people.  The bigger question is - Having read my answers, do you feel like we have a stronger relationship? Probably not.  That's my point.

Although the written word can be revealing and deeply moving it seldom builds relationship.  The greatest gift we can give our relationships is uninterrupted face time - not the electronic version.  Listening with our heart - deep listening that touches our souls is what binds us together. This week schedule time with someone with whom you want to be more connected. Strengthen your relationship by practicing deep listening. If neither of you are talkers - spend quiet time just being with each

other - while being unpluged from everything else.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Day #20