The Sounds of Silence



Today as I sit at the lake and listen to the birds chirp, the animals scurrying through the underbrush and the wind in the trees I find myself struggling to focus on the present moment.   As I near the end of my six weeks surrounded by nature away from the noise of the city, the TV, the radio and the neighbors I find myself anxious each time I shift awareness towards my return to the city. Then this morning my friends and I must have been in harmony as all of us were thinking about the sounds of silence and the healing power they can provide. 

First, my friend Jenny McFadden from Australia shared a lovely meditation. The Great Bell Chant (available online) consists of a wonderful video, chanting and the words of Thich Nhat Hanh.

Then Kelli Spencer posted 
Okay, long story short...a friend posted the lyrics to a song that prompted me to look for it on YouTube where I came across the song The Sound of Silence. And now, you're asking for me to get to the point...Each day, I choose to live in silence, no TV or music, no people or machines. Sometimes, it can be all day before I play music or listen to anything. I even moved to an area that supplies me with silence from the sounds of society’s hustle and bustle and all the noise that comes with it. Why...because I needed to hear myself. I needed to hear my inner soul talking. I needed to listen, but couldn't, when I was engaged in so much going on. TODAY, take some time in silence. Get into that space within you that gives you direction. Go into meditation where you can speak with yourself. Meditation, talking with your higher self, gives you direction and healing of all kinds. The body can heal itself, but not by working 90 hrs a week, rushing here and there with kids in tow, getting your food from a drive-up. It does it by you slowing down and making a conscious effort to get in touch with your soul. Having conversations about what's best for you. Try it today! Go into silence and have that conversation today. Working to go there at least once a week.

Affirmation: I am the best I can be as long as I listen to me.

Kelli Spencer-Love The Life You Have”

I am grateful for my friends and the universe for reminding me that when I return to the hustle and bustle of the city I will be able create the sounds of silence by practicing meditation.  Meditation will open the door to silence where I can hear my inner voice and find peace.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Day #20