Events vs. Experiences

"How do I learn to ignore the reality of the world around me?"  This question was posed to me this weekend at a session on Creating Well-BEing by Crowding Out Stress.

My answer-

First recognize that "reality" is unique to each individual.  You and I can be in the same room listening, to the same message, watching the same show and walk away with two distinctive experiences.   Why?  Because, we each walk into the room with two different personal histories, two different references for what we want at this moment--I maybe wanting time to explore my inner thoughts while you want to share your thinking with another, or perhaps one of us wants to be open minded and the other has come with an opinion to voice, etc.--and we process the message in two different ways.  Even more interesting is the idea that if you or I were listening or watching on a different day, we world hear and see the same message (reality) differently. 

Once you recognize that "reality" is a matter of personal perception, then you can begin to see that events do not create your experiences.  Events (what's happening around you) are information, experiences are a personal matter.  Just like you can turn the TV volume down or change the channel to shift the experience you can do the same with anything out there. You have the ability to consciously shift your awareness to the information (noise) around you.  To pay attention to what is in alignment with your personal agenda.

Try it- right this minute breathe deeply, close your eyes and listen for a sound that is presently on the fringe of your awareness.  Concentrate on that sound, as you do what are you aware of that you weren't a moment ago.  For me it is the ticking of an old clock.  As I was writing, I was not consciously aware of the sound, and now that I shifted my awareness to it, it is hard to ignore.  Learning to take control of your experience of the events around you can help you focus more on well-being and crowd-out stress. Practicing shifting your focus is a skill you can master. 

You can learn to wisely choose  what you pay attention to by focusing your awareness on it, what ever you let through your perceptual filter is up to you.  

[Creating Well-BEing available for download at www.shop.creatingshift.com.]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Challenge Day #20